Vancouver’s 2011 Stanley Cup Riots

with 18 comments

Firstly, congratulations to Boston for the Stanley Cup win. It was an amazing run. Tim Thomas played a tremendous series, and Boston was clearly the better team. I’ll always be a Canucks fan but that being said, I am absolutely sick to my stomach disgusted with Vancouver’s reaction to the loss this evening. The day started great. Cheering crowds, smiling kids, free samples, but as soon as the game ended the crowds had divulged into an angry mob hell bent on our city’s destruction. I’ve played witness to immigration protests in Australia and Maoist uprisings in Nepal, but I have never in my whole life experienced a mob of such hate filled individual’s hell bent on indiscriminate civic destruction. Call me naive, but I didn’t even think Vancouver was capable of this.

What happened to the jubilation we saw during The Olympics? What happened to sportsmanship? What happened to morality at its most basic level?

The day started out packed with cheering fans (5:35pm). Ok maybe a little too packed.

Reports from inside the stadium state that The Bruins victory was met with applause, the sort of class I would have expected from our hockey fans. Outside on the streets we threw our class down the drain before the game was even finished. We live in Canada, one of the greatest most peaceful places on Earth, and this is how we react to a hockey game? I realize that a lot of people instigating these riots were mostly “anarchists” who were there from out of town with the intent to cause trouble, most likely in a sick premeditated attempt to relive the riots of 1994.  Though I am sure they exist, I don’t know a single person who lives in Vancouver who would willingly take part in it’s destruction the way I saw it tonight, but I know that locals have certainly taken part as well. It was a mixed bag of terrible people doing terrible things. Even before the game was over, masked instigators started causing problems. Some of them even had gasoline and Molotov cocktails, apparently with the intent to start a riot win or lose.

After watching 3 cars torched and destroyed the police backed out and mobs started burning and destroying whatever they could find. I managed to put out two fires with two good Samaritan bicyclists, but while trying to put out a third trashcan fire, things took a turn for the worse. I spent the night in emergency because on my way out of the city. I was knocked to the pavement after stepping in to put out a garbage fire.  One of the rioters who sucker punched me also destroyed my Canon 5D Mark II and one of my lenses. If you come across any photo or video evidence of this incident I would greatly appreciate it if you could email the Vancouver Police Department to help aid their investigation.

Though my jaw is still swollen it only took three stitches to patch my eye up. It’ll take much more than that to wipe this memory from my my mind. I hope we can move forward as a community and build ourselves back up to be the world class city that I know we really are.

Please email all evidence to riot@vpd.ca with a dates, times, locations, and descriptions.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS

Girl - Sage Laboucan

This is the face of one of the individuals lighting trash fires outside the CBC building. If you have any footage or photos to use as evidence please send it to robbery@vpd.ca Cheers!

Written by Cameron Brown

June 16th, 2011 at 12:15 am

Posted in News,Personal,Sports

Tagged with , ,

18 Responses to 'Vancouver’s 2011 Stanley Cup Riots'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Vancouver’s 2011 Stanley Cup Riots'.

1. I hope that the photo evidence can be used to bring some justice upon these trouble-makers. These people use any crowd as an excuse to cause damage and chaos.

S.

16 Jun 11 at 8:44 am

2. On the last shot:

“E-mail the high-res originals to the Vancouver police DIRECTLY at vpd@vpd.ca and give them times, locations, context of photos, and your contact information. ”

If someone ID’s him (might happen eventually) you might be able to help nail him on the molotov/sucker punch.

Aaron

16 Jun 11 at 8:48 am

3. These pictures can really help the Vancouver Police make a ton of arrests.

I really hope you email them in or better yet drop of the card there and tell them everything you remember about each one.

It will help bring these guys to justice….

michelle

16 Jun 11 at 9:07 am

4. The girl smashing the garbage bins is Sage Laboucan:

Check out her facebook and the same distinctive shoes:

Vancouverite

16 Jun 11 at 7:09 pm

5. Hey I just sent an e-mail to everyone of my friends asking if they know the guy, sorry man this is all I can do.

Yuji Aizawa

17 Jun 11 at 12:50 am

6. I have been to the Celebration of light fireworks in july and august and there were also a lot of people. However I noticed they are crammed together. That could provoke an aggressive attitude

I would suggest more television locations throughout the downtown

since this is the 2nd riot i hope the Canucks never again go to the stanley cup finals.

Gary

17 Jun 11 at 2:49 am

7. Tim

17 Jun 11 at 3:54 am

8. Do you have more photos of that girl smashing garbage bins? If so please send original photos to VPD. Thank you.

Vancouverite

17 Jun 11 at 8:47 am

9. I’m 21, live in Vancouver, and seeing pictures of youth my age cause so much destruction and disrespect not only towards our city, but to our peers and elders makes me so goddamn angry.

This gives our generation such a terrible rep.

angryyouth

17 Jun 11 at 5:34 pm

10. Hi Cam,

Thank you for your pictures and thank you for your attempts to quell things like fires. i was on georgia between richards an seymour trying to remove junk from the streets that seemed like good projectiles from loogans looking to bust our city.

How do you feel emotionally? I am effing emotionally exhausted. who the hell were these people?
    malcolm

malcolm

17 Jun 11 at 7:37 pm

11. I live in N.Ireland which has lots of similar trouble over the years (albeit Religious rather than sports).

I just wanted to say, good for you taking a stand, and providing pictures. Groups need to be isolated and stopped, otherwise next time they will do the same thing again, usually bigger than previously.

Its always surprising in modern times, civilised cutures can produce so many thugs, with no concept of values….

Danny

18 Jun 11 at 5:55 am

12. Hi, Cameron. Is this the same guy whose fire you tried to put out? http://on.fb.me/mqeLac

Mark Ballantine

23 Jun 11 at 8:00 pm

13. I hope you get the guy. I was also attacked and my camera was smashed but I wasn’t hurt like you. Luckily some good Samaritans chased the attacker off but now I’m also trying to ID him. I hope you catch the guy and get restitution. It’s a shame this happened at all.

Be safe.

the Tiger Moth

23 Jun 11 at 9:24 pm

14. Hey Cameron in the video http://vimeo.com/25219526 you can see there are two people that assualted you and one guy that took your camera. The first guy that assualted you is obvious but hard to get a clear shot of his face.

The second guy punched you after you were down and he has the black canucks tshirt, black pants, black/white nike shoes and the green brimmed cap. You can see his face clearly at around 3:10 or so, he’s yelling at your face. Let’s get him ID’d.

Then the goy who took your camera is the guy (asian maybe?) in the tan jacket with blue bandana mask. That guy has been seen in other videos in various spots during the riots.

help cam

23 Jun 11 at 10:54 pm

15. I have identified the man wearing the Washington sweatshirt and Mariner’s cap from this video http://vimeo.com/25219526 that “playfully”kicked you while you were on the ground to the Vancouver police dept. I hope that justice will be served.

Arlo

28 Jun 11 at 2:56 pm

16. Clear photo of the camera theif’s face here – Photo by Jayna aka “Foxtongue” on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxtongue/5840927931/in/set-72157626979796790 Gave it to Yanny too…. Good luck in getting them all.

Ashton

3 Jul 11 at 11:55 am

17. Hi Cameron,

I just felt like expressing my sympathy.

I’m a Vancouverite living abroad and working in Japan at a trading company (not stocks but import/export goods). I often go abroad to developing countries and have taken up amateur photography with my Sony D-SLR to share with my friends. In fact, I noticed you had some Tibet pictures. I was in Nepal for 4 months recently and seeing those pictures reminded me of the landscape in the Upper Mustang region along the Himalayas.

Traveling and trekking around such demanding terrain means you really need to protect your camera and lenses. Unfortunately my two lenses were so scratched and dusty after the Nepal trip I had to sadly sell them BOTH for $70 (although they could still take some soso shots but Japanese pawn shops really low-ball you) to justify buying a new one.

Seeing how you lost such a nice lens during the riot and understanding how precious a lens is, I felt a connection with you. If that were me in that situation, which I can also imagine myself being in, I would feel so ashamed that it wasn’t a thief in India or the storms of the Himalayas that did the lens in, but rather two drunk assholes in my hometown of Vancouver.

Hope things are getting back on track for you and those two guys have been identified. Unfortunately I’m not very up to date with the situation going on back home about this topic.

If you’re ever in Japan and need a good recommendation for a quiet, off the beaten track photo location I’d be more than happy to tell you. I’m also heading out again to Mongolia and India next month for a business trip. I learned a thing or two from your compositions and lighting tendencies. Gonna try those out.

Vince Ng

21 Jul 11 at 12:21 am

18. Hey Cameron – Saw that one of the accused assaulters, nutshot Jensen White of Seattle, skipped court and there’s a warrant out now for him. The charges on him don’t mention assault, which is odd (???!!!) …and although there’s plenty of video evidence. http://bc.ctvnews.ca/warrant-out-for-riot-suspect-who-skipped-court-date-1.865682

AshtonIst